Verano: A Certified Women's Business Enterprise
It's official: Verano is now a federally recognized Women's Business Enterprise!
After many months of paperwork, business documentation, and interviews, the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) approved Verano for national certification as a Women’s Business Enterprise by the Ohio River Valley Women's Business Council, a regional certifying partner of the WBENC.
This might seem like no big deal: of course Verano is woman owned! After all, It was started and is currently operated by women. But in truth, this certification means much more to us as a team, and to me personally, than another logo to add to our website (although we're proudly displaying it!).
This certification holds value; not just in potential business (although that is true), but also in a tangible representation of our beliefs and ethics.
Here's what being a WBE means to Verano:
- Reflection of our own commitment to serving and supporting other women- and minority-owned businesses
- Recognition that women can--and do--run amazing businesses in all cities, states, and regions of our country
- Desire to learn from female business owners much more successful than ourselves
- Indication of our dedication to doing great work and being held accountable to our values, quality of work, and overall commitment to the business community
The WBENC certification involves a meticulous assessment, including an in-depth review of the business and site inspection. The certification process is designed to confirm the business is at least 51% owned, operated and controlled by a woman or women.
- Founded in 1997, WBENC is the nation’s leader in women’s business development and the leading third-party certifier of businesses owned and operated by women.
- More than 13,000 certified Women’s Business Enterprises, 14 national Regional Partner Organizations, and more than 300 Corporate Members are part of the WBENC network.
- More than 1,000 corporations representing America’s most prestigious brands as well as many states, cities, and other entities accept WBENC Certification.
From a business growth perspective, as a WBE, Verano is now eligible to satisfy the 'women- or minority-owned' requirement that many large corporations and federal entities must meet when accepting proposals for work. This opens up an avenue of possibilities that our team has not yet tapped into, and we're excited to learn more about how--and what--WBE certification can do for the future of our company.
There's a lot of work ahead of us to make the most out of our certification. For now, we are going to celebrate the first major milestone as an official woman-owned business.