Small-Business Guide to Facebook's News Feed Changes
The news is out, and marketers beware: Facebook is updating its News Feed algorithm to prioritize users' family and friends over brand posts and news links. In a blog post last week, Facebook's 'Head of News Feed' Adam Mosseri explained that the social media platform is dedicated to driving "meaningful interaction" between users that's good for everyone's "well-being" (I'm personally interested to see how this plays out!).
In short, brands are out and banter is in.
We've combed the news articles and expert assessments to outline what this change means for small businesses like Verano and the clients we serve. Here's what we know:
- Posts from friends and family will be prioritized over public content from Pages (aka businesses and publishers).
- Pages will almost certainly see a decrease in reach, video views, likes, shares, etc.
- Pages whose posts regularly initiate conversation, debate, and cross-user engagement will be less affected.
- Most branded content will now be redirected from the familiar 'News Feed' to a new 'Explore Feed'
- "Engagement Bait" is about to get really popular
- Live videos are recommended as a way to promote engagement
- Facebook will encourage businesses and promoters to use paid advertising to stay relevant
So, in short, it looks like businesses like Verano are going to need to increase our advertising budgets and get ready to go live on camera more than ever before.
Want to read more? Check out these helpful articles:
- Facebook is trying to prove it's not a media company by dropping the guillotine on a bunch of media companies: Business Insider
- Mark Zuckerberg just made a sweeping change to Facebook that will affect 2 billion people and tons of businesses: Business Insider
- Facebook News Feed Changes Makes Small Business Marketing an Even Greater Challenge: Small BIz Trends
- Facebook’s Ad Business May Power Through News Feed Change; Bloomberg